Saturday 30 April 2011

Its Snowball Time !!

Its the end of the month and we have just made another 'Snowball' payment towards the credit card. We have paid £1300 off today. The refund cheque from the utility company was a nice surprise that we included with our payment. Its great when you can make a payment and see a big difference but it does also make me wonder what else we could do with that money if it wasn't accounted for, holiday, savings, car etc. Our long term goal is to move house once we are debt free so any extra cash would then be put towards the moving house project. Once we are debt free I would like to have separate savings pots like other bloggers do, such as House , Holiday, Car Fund and then save regular amounts in each pot so the individual funds grow. Last year our car 'died' and we had to sell it as scrap. Luckily at that time we had our second car to fall back but now that's gone so if anything happened we would be really stuck. I would like to save enough money that if anything happened I could buy another car (second hand of course) quite quickly and have that money aside in the Car Fund pot. Over the weekend I'm going to sit down and meal plan , I do have to go to the shops this weekend and I also want to look at the bank accounts thoroughly. I have a few birthdays in May also another school holiday at the end of next month so will have to plan childcare again. Our National Trust membership finishes at the end of May so I can squeeze a few more visits in over the weekends and forthcoming school holiday. I have cancelled the direct debit for the time being as I am not going to renew it straight away. If I plan it correctly I can renew it later in the year and then I will get the remainder of this year and next summer in the twelve months membership. At the moment I don't have the £80 renewal spare. On the food front I cooked one of the roast beef joints yesterday that I bought earlier in the month for half price. I was disappointed as it shrunk quite a bit so it won't last all weekend like the gammon joint did, at least I hasn't paid full price for it. We will have enough for sandwiches and maybe a light lunch but it still saves me time and energy cooking again today Have a great Bank Holiday weekend :-)

4 comments:

  1. People talk about Snowball payments. What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its like making a real life snowball, gathering bits of snow (money)and making it into one snowball then throwing it at something (debt). I think its an american phrase thats made its way over here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Piggy Bank I happened to catch your comment on Mary Bailey's blog (Bell, Whistle, Moon) and had to check yours out. I shall be a regular visitor since I love all things British....kit up the child, knickers,....etc...

    My hubs and I made a big effort to get out of debt a few years back and it has really been wonderful. We do have car payments now but the house et al are free and clear. We once owed tons due to a bankrupt farm but we managed to sell out and get out. We are retired now...and we do save for holidays...we went to your fair land 3 years ago...rented a car and stayed at farm B&B's we loved the small towns and charity shops where I got a few bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donnamo. Thanks for your comment and I look foward to hearing from you soon. Its funny you love all things British as we quite like all things American. I hope to get back to America as soon as these debts are gone. Last year we went to Florida & NYC. We had a really great time. We would love to do a roadtrip.My husband got to work in Baltimore for a short time a few years ago and loved it there. Do call again :-)

    ReplyDelete